Entry #1
I enjoyed discussing and sharing our philosophies about teaching literacy with one of my first grade team mates. We both agree without a doubt that all students are capable of learning to the best of their ability if we provide access to the appropriate tools. Teachers need to ensure content addresses all ability levels through differentiation and learning styles. Utilizing the data from informal and formal assessments guides teachers to construct lesson plans to close the achievement gaps: assess, monitor, change, and reassess. I felt good instruction should include active engagement strategies, pacing, and smooth transitions. A point I shared was, we often don't think about, is a safe environment. It also contributes to nature, joy, and the motivation of learning. I once read somewhere that a great classroom is one that the teacher is respectful of the students and in turn the students are respectful of the teacher. It is apparent that learning is taking place. Each child is valued and challenged.
Very good point that we must make our classrooms safe for learning. The pressure to be the best or possibly ridiculed for not knowing something is such a great influence in society that having a learning environment and culture in the classroom with smooth transitions, pacing and safe engaging strategies is of utmost importance to keep the learning growing.
ReplyDelete